Thursday, January 21, 2010

Help for Haiti

As I learn more about the dire situation in Haiti, it's made me feel a growing urge to do something. As a huge basketball fan and sneaker addict, I've discovered ways to aid the people of Haiti through various websites and blogs that I frequent. One outlet that I came across is through the clothing brand UNDRCRWN. They recently released an "Assist Haiti" T-Shirt that comes in both blue and white for $20, with all profits going towards Yéle Haiti. It's a nice looking shirt, so I went ahead and grabbed me one. In addition to this, 5% of UNDRCRWN's profits will also go to Yéle.



Another outlet for Haiti relief that I've discovered is through my favorite sneaker blog Nice Kicks. They have put together an effort called Sneakerheads for Haiti with Soles4Souls to send new and used shoes to Haiti. I've yet to send any of my shoes, but I've definitely got some laying around that I could do without. There are three ways you can help support this cause.

Send any new or gently worn shoes to:

Sneakerheads for Haiti
Soles4Souls, Inc.
315 Airport Road
Roanoke, AL 36274

So take a moment to consider supporting these two causes. If there are any other ways to support Haiti that you know of, regardless of whether they have anything to do with typical Dank Game subject matter, please share it in the comments section.

While I'm on the topic of Haiti, I'd like to point out the efforts that Philadelphia 76ers center Samuel Dalembert (the only Haitian born player in the NBA) and former NBA player Alonzo Mourning are putting forth with Project Medishare. I broke down in tears after reading this article from Truehoop about Dalembert trying to help parents adopt homeless children in Haiti. Dalembert has been in Haiti doing all he can to help, yet he remains dedicated to the Sixers as he has taken a plane back to the US to play with his team on hardly any sleep. If that's not inspiring, I don't know what is.

No comments:

Post a Comment