Friday, July 30, 2010

Throwback Posterization: MJ Throws Down on Tree Rollins


I neglected to post a Throwback Posterization yesterday, so I'm doing one on a Friday this week to get you pumped for the weekend. This week's throw down is courtesy of the greatest of all time, Michael Jordan. I'm not entirely sure what season this is from but judging by his teammates and what appears to be Jordan 3's on his feet, I'm pretty sure it's from the '86-87 season.

Jordan catches a pass on the perimeter and does his patent palm-the-ball pass fake to Charles Oakley on the baseline, which breaks the ankles of the Hawks' Cliff Levingston. With his defender falling to the floor, Jordan takes it to the hoop as 7-footer Tree Rollins mans the paint. Taking just one dribble before taking off, MJ skies over Rollins for a textbook Jordan dunk. Rollins has good position to contest the dunk, but Jordan's teammate Earl Cureton cuts to the basket right before Jordan gets to the rim which distracts Tree. After the dunk, Jordan runs down the court with some serious swagger that foreshadows the superstar he would become.

I also want to point out that Tree Rollins became a running joke in my neighborhood when I was growing up because he had a funny name. Kiki Vandeweigh was another player whose name we ragged on. My brother and I even made up a song/story about him in which he was the narrator's best friend and ultimately died. I'm serious. I can still remember the melody which was likely ripped off from some other song.

No comments:

Post a Comment