Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bring the Royals Back to Cincinnati!

According to Ryan Lillis and Tony Bizjak of the Sacramento Bee, current mayor of Sacramento and former 3-time All-Star point guard Kevin Johnson has said that the Kings might leave Sacramento if efforts to build a new arena fall through. KJ became aware of the issue when the NCAA bypassed Sacramento's bid to host the regional round of the men's basketball tournament in 2013 at Arco Arena. Although details remain vague, NCAA officials claim they were concerned about the conditions at Arco Arena.

Ok, Cincinnati... this is the moment we've all been waiting for, right? RIGHT?!? Ok, so maybe I'm one of few Cincinnatians that dreams of one day bringing the Royals back to the Queen City, but if you ask me, NOW is the time to take action. This is a golden opportunity we can't let slip away. Cleveland has three professional sports teams, and we all know Cincinnati is better than Cleveland.

So far, I've started creating an online petition at iPetitions.com, but I got stuck at the part where you're supposed to list your sponsors. I'm guessing a blog called Dank Game probably wouldn't be the most effective sponsor for this cause, so if anyone out there is reading this and knows of a legit sponsor hoping to bring pro basketball back to Cincinnati, let me know in the comments section. I'm sure there's someone out there, right? Ok, probably not.

A coworker of mine told me that Cincinnati Royals legend Oscar Robertson frequently eats at Montgomery Inn, so I'm thinking that the best plan of action at this point is to eat ribs night after night until I see the Big O in person, with BBQ sauce covering his face. I'm sure if I state my case he'll get behind it both morally and financially, right? So, if anyone is in the mood for ribs tonight and every other night until we see Oscar, get at me. I know I'm hungry for the world's greatest ribs, how about you?

7 comments:

  1. I am definitely onboard. The second the Royals are back in Cincy, I want that Thunder logo removed from the right side of the browser.

    But until then, go Thunder - clearly favored to go deep into the playoffs next season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Montgomery Inn would be a perfect sponsor if you could swing it. And by the way, lunch is the best time to spot Oscar eating at the bar.

    As for other sponsors, what about USBank Arena? I saw my beloved Nuggets play there in an exhibition game versus the Pacers in 2006. Melo skipped it because he had an ear infection and couldn't fly.

    Or if you're looking for a smaller venue: what about Koch's Sporting Goods? Or our city's chamber of commerce site, CincinnatUSA.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not Chad Johnson as a sponsor, he has a new iphone app.
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20091020/SPT02/310200056

    As noted on DG, he purchased tickets to avoid a tv blackout. He also recently got a 10k invoice for chinstrap violations.

    Seems to me like he might jump at a chance for the publicity. All you have to do is sign up for the iphone app and send a comment every day. Also try his Ustream comment section.

    Who knows, maybe someday Ochocinco could be part owner of the Royals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we need to call our hamilton county commissioners, city council members and get a new arena built!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is hilarious. I want a Cincinnati Royals shirt, too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could've bought a Royals shirt when we were at Koch's, bro. I think they still had em when we were there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Royals definitely belong in Cincinnati not KC or Omaha or Sacramento! While we're at it put Big O and Jerry Lucas in the wayback machine....... this time an NBA championship for sure!

    ReplyDelete