Sunday, May 2, 2010

Farewell 2009-2010 Thunder

Alas, the former champs finally did get the best of the up-and-coming Oklahoma City Thunder. Two Dank Game teams down, one to go.

Having been a lifelong fan of Cincinnati sports, this is the least I've ever felt badly about a promising season coming to an end. With the Reds and the Bengals, you always kind of know that a winning season will not be followed by another.

So maybe it's a blessing that Cincinnati lost the Royals. It frees up SlimMcFavorite and myself to become free agent fans. Also fortunate is that we weren't douchey enough to become Celtics or Lakers fanboys (or have hair like the pictured Thunder fan).

So unlike the Cincinnati teams, I know I won't have to wait twenty years for another solid Thunder squad. Only seven regular season wins separated them from the defending champ Lakers. And in their series against the best in the West, the Thunder took two games, and lost by a basket or less in two others.

And here's the real kicker: This is about as young as an NBA team could possibly be. Every core member of the team hovers within a year or so of 21. And unlike almost every other team in the league right now, the Thunder aren't about to implode amidst the much ballyhooed 2010 free agent sweepstakes.

So I feel I can safely say this team is only a few years away from at least threatening a deep playoff run - conference finals or further. Meanwhile I'm just hoping the Bengals can post back-to-back winning season for the first time in 28 years.

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever really care about the Reds?

    Also, is that dude in a Good Charlotte cover band?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was way into the reds when I was like 10-13 years old. I still like them more than any other mlb team, although I never watch them

    I don't know what the deal with that band is, but they were playing some Thunder related event.

    Do you like that I wrote a Thunder article without naming a single player even once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Congolese Squeeze!

    other possible nickname: Serge "I'll-Block-Ya" Ibaka

    work in progress!

    ReplyDelete