Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Nugget Ceiling

Kenyon Martin on the Denver Nuggets has always seemed unexciting to me, even as a long time Cincinnati Bearcats fan. But this year, and last year too, I think Kenyon is finally getting over the injuries that plagued him after he left New Jersey (and hopefully getting over not having the 3-4 easy dunks Jason Kidd got him every game).

Just hearing Kenyon talk defense on hoopshype.com got me excited about the possibilities for this years playoffs: "Could you talk about the defensive mindset that you bring to Denver? Kenyon Martin: Everybody can’t score in the league and you have to be able to do something different. I have always been known as a defensive player, paying attention to detail mostly, helping with the game plan, how we should play pick and rolls or post up. I always tend to draw the assignment of the tough post player. I just try to do all I can to make sure we are successful."

I can almost hear the ghost of Bob Huggins at the Shoe in his voice. And really, with their front line of Martin, NenĂª, and the Birdman, I think they can be a damn good defensive team if they strive for it. Especially when you consider Chauncey Billups skills in game management, learned in Detroit from the best in the business, Larry Brown. I mean, the Lakers are great now, it would be extremely tough for the Nuggets to make the NBA finals, but the 2004 Pistons led by Billups beat a Lakers team with arguably more talent than this Lakers team (though certainly not the chemistry of this year). Kenyon thinks they have a chance, check his answer to the question on hoopshype.com: "Can the Nuggets earn a berth in the NBA Finals without making any deals? Kenyon Martin: I think so. We have a great team in place. As long as we get better each and every game we play and every month we play and learn from our mistakes… As long as we get the team to focus in on the defensive end because we can score with anybody in the league… If we lock in on defense, the sky is the limit for us."

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I love Denver's front line from a defensive standpoint.

    ReplyDelete