Saturday, June 12, 2010

There's a WORLD Cup?

The title's a joke. I am of course aware of the World Cup. I would wait for our "futbol" columnist ANDY_HAMS to write an entry, but we'd probably have to wait until 2014.

Anyway, I woke up early tomorrow to get brunch and mimosas at a WC function. I ended up with a table from which I couldn't clearly see a TV, but I think I got the gist of it. Greece lost, somebody won, whatever.

By the time the USA played (and by the time I'd chanted U-S-A 50 times) I had a good seat. Good thing too - America is going to make some noise this year! They tied England, a supposedly top 4 team, 1-1.

This basically ensures the United States berth into the next round. If you want specifics look it up yourself, but a tie against the best team of their grouping makes the USA that much closer to advancing. A win and a tie against the other (much shittier) teams in the group would give America a pass into further WC play. Realistically, they should get two wins. They basically stole a point by tying the English.

Anyway, I usually don't follow Soccer (futbol?) or baseball, but the USA and the Cincinnati Reds are both sweet right now. I'll take what I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment