Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Somebody Up There Really Wants Me to Love the Thunder

Holy shit! Suddenly it makes sense for someone from Dayton, Ohio to root for the OKC Thunder.

Just when I was really starting to like the Thunder instead of just rooting for them on a whim, they go and do something to endure themselves to me forever. They call up SlimMcFettuccine's Miami Heat and say "Hey, can we have Daequan "The Dayton Kid" Cook, plus a better draft pick?" So Miami gave up an extremely valuable (read: marginal) player plus the 18th pick in the draft for the 32 overall pick.

I'm not even going to pretend that it makes sense to give up a player and a draft pick for a lower draft pick, but such is the way of the salary cap in the NBA. This guy from Bleacher Report says that he thinks the Heat want out of the first round so they don't have to guarantee any salaries for draft picks next year. What I want to know (hint, Slim) is who they do plan on paying to play in 2010-11?

Anyway, the Thunder now hold the 18th, 21st, 26th and 51st overall picks. So they'll pretty much be kicking everyone's ass (Miami's included) for the next decade. The best thing about it though is that I get to steal Slim's nickname!

*******

As an unrelated sidenote, I recently watched the classic musical Oklahoma. It was pretty gay but kind of cool in parts. Not so much the ones where they're singing though.

2 comments:

  1. Holy shit, I can't believe you beat me to this. I just got on Dank Game to write about it only to find that Teenage_Pubestache had beaten me to an NBA story involving by beloved Heat. I think I need to take a long look in the mirror right now.

    Well, 'stache, the reason Miami sent "The Dayton Kid" and their 18th pick to OKC for the 32nd pick is to show that they're fully committed to rebuilding their roster through free agency. The trade gives them $3.4 million more in cap space, as they shed Daequan's $2.2 million contract and the $1.2 million that would have gone to the 18th pick. Pat Riley has emphasized time and time again that he'd prefer to sign proven players in order to win now rather than bring in rookie prospects. The Heat now have enough cap space to resign Wade, another max-level free agent like Bosh or LeBron (unlikely), and another top-tier free agent like Amare Stoudemire, Joe Johnson, or Carlos Boozer. Another reason the Heat may have made this trade is to free up more cash in order to resign free agents Udonis Haslem and/or Dorell Wright. Does that answer your question, 'stache?

    Anyhow, I hope Daequan can rediscover his shooting stroke next season with the Thunder, as long as it doesn't happen against the Heat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was totally just eating a late dinner out last night and I just happened to see something on the ESPN bottom feed bar thing that said something about a Heat-Thunder trade involving Daequan Cook. I thought to myself "Where do I know that name." When I realized a few seconds later it was "The Dayton Kid" I knew it was game over McFavorite.

    ReplyDelete