Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday Throwback Posterization: Kemp embarrasses Alston Lister



It has taken me all week to sift through the thousands of e-mails from Dank Game readers expressing their shock and disgust that I forgot to post a Thursday Throwback Posterization last week. Look guys, I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen, and now I'm back on it. So let's just forget that it ever happened and move on.

For this week's classic posterization, I give you the "Reign Man" Shawn Kemp dunking on Alston Lister. After reading 'Stache's recent post claiming that the Supersonics would be forgotten in a matter of two years, I felt obligated to remind everyone just how sweet the Sonics were during the Kemp and Gary Payton heydays. Although I was a loyal Heat fan during my preteen years, the Sonics were my team in the West. I even had one of the ugly mid-90s forest green and maroon Kemp jerseys. I was glued to the television during the Sonics' run to the Finals, which of course ended in disappointment as they fell to MJ and the Bulls.

Now onto that dunk. As Chris Mullin indecisively attempted to man the paint and keep his defensive cover in sight, Kemp took advantage as he drove past one defender to create the open lane. As Kemp approached him, Mullin decided to get out of his way in hopes that one of his fellow Warriors had his back with the help defense. Alston Lister did try to help by attempting to draw a charge, but well... I think you can figure out the rest. I love the way Kemp cradles the ball as he drives to the hoop, and the finish with the legs spread makes it one of the most memorable posterizations of all time. Of course, the post-dunk "you just got dunked on!" taunt has helped seal this slam's legacy, but even without that I still think this one would've been remembered. In my opinion, this is the best taunt in NBA history. It's just so comical. Unfortunately, David Stern won't allow that nowadays. What a lame.

To make up for missing out on last week's Thursday Throwback Posterization, here's Kemp's Top 10 Dunks. There's just some absolutely ridiculous dunks on here including one of the best oops of all time courtesy of Gary Payton.

No comments:

Post a Comment