Monday, October 12, 2009

2009-10 NBA Season Preview - Eastern Conference






Look no further, Dank Game is the place to prepare you for a season of losing money betting on the NBA.





Much like my colleague/arch rival, Teenage_Mustache, I shall begin this post by acknowledging that these predictions will either make me out to be a genius, or a complete moron. As of now, I'm banking on genius. The NBA season is fast approaching (thank Christ!), the NFL season is well underway, and I think baseball is probably almost over by now... but I really wouldn't know, because baseball is boring. Without any further introduction, here is my take on what will go down in the NBA's Eastern Conference.

Atlantic
As the old adage goes, if they can stay healthy, Boston is the obvious frontrunner in the Atlantic division. I expect the Raptors to bounce back this season with the acquisition of Hedo Turkoglu, while the Sixers may have taken a step back with the loss of Andre Miller to Portland. If Lou Williams proves to be capable of running Philly's offense and Elton Brand can come back strong and find chemistry with the team, they could easily finish ahead of the Raptors.

With promising second year forward Danillo Gallinari returning from an injury plagued rookie season, I expect the Knicks to finish ahead of New Jersey. The Nets seem bound to regress after trading Vince Carter to Orlando, although second year center Brook Lopez and point guard Devin Harris could have very big years.

Central
The Cavs are clearly ahead of the pack in the Central Division. They won 66 games last year and because they acquired Shaq for next to nothing, I don't see them going anywhere but up. That's not to say the Shaq experiment will necessarily work come playoff time, as I still have my doubts. I'm not sure if the Bulls will be much better than last year now that their leading scorer, Ben Gordon, has left for Detroit. Having John Salmons for a full season – barring a trade – and having a healthy Luol Deng might prove to make Gordon's departure a non-issue, though.

Putting the Pacers over the Pistons might be a bad move, but I have trouble picturing Detroit playing anything close to mediocre defense with the addition of Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva. The loss of Sheed and McDyess won't help that cause either. I think Danny Granger could finally break into the crop of second-tier elite players this year, which is another reason I have Indiana over Detroit. Milwaukee seems lottery bound, especially if Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut can't remain healthy.

Southeast
The Magic dominated the Southeast last season and have only gotten better this off-season, while the rest of the division – besides the Wizards – hasn't made any significant strides. My team loyalty forces me to put Miami in second, although that will probably be a mistake. The Heat should be better this season if J.O. can return to form and their young talent shows improve. It's just really hard to predict how things will shake out amongst the Wizards, Hawks, and Heat.

The Wizards will obviously be better with Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood returning. Acquiring Mike Miller and Randy Foye from Minnesota for their first round draft pick should also bolster their roster. The Hawks addition of Jamal Crawford will give them more offensive fire power and Joe Smith will help their frontcourt, but I still think their core of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford can only get them so far. I'll probably regret putting them this far back, but I'm going with it. The Bobcats might prove me wrong, but I have trouble putting any faith in that team.

Playoff Picture
I'm guessing my bias towards the Heat will end up messing this all up and I'm probably not giving the Hawks nearly enough credit by taking them out of the playoffs, but otherwise this seems entirely possible.

1 comment:

  1. The Wizards logo looks like he's about to serve a volleyball. No team with a logo this bad should make it to the playoffs.

    I can't wait to see which one of these pretenders gets swept by my Thunder in the Finals.

    ReplyDelete